Shockwaves felt in N.B. forestry sector as Maine mill halts Canadian imports

By Aidan Cox
CBC News
November 26, 2025
Category: Business & Politics
Region: Canada East

A 10 per cent tariff that U.S. President Donald Trump slapped on timber imports this fall has prompted at least one mill in Maine to suspend shipments from New Brunswick, sending shockwaves through parts of the province’s forestry industry. Woodland Pulp LLC halted its purchases of New Brunswick timber starting Oct. 14, in light of the new tariff on softwood and certain hardwood timber, said company spokesperson Scott Beal. “It certainly adds cost to the business and, you know, like other wood users, I mean we’re always looking and hoping and trying to source fibre at the least cost,” Beal said. Beal said the company’s purchase of wood had already been reduced in recent months due to a downturn in the global pulp market. That downturn more recently prompted the company to pause receiving wood for 60 days, in addition to a planned 26-day long suspension of operations at its Baileyville, Me., which started over the weekend.

Read More