Canfor mill worker dies 12 days after being electrocuted

By Ted Clarke
TriCity News
February 21, 2024
Category: Health & Safety
Region: Canada, Canada West

Gary Lefebvre

A Prince George pipefitter who was injured in an industrial accident while working at Intercontinental Pulp Mill on Jan. 31 has died. The man, identified by a family friend as 45-year-old Gary Lefebvre, was operating an electric hoist attached to an overhead monorail in the mill when he was electrocuted. According to WorkSafeBC, “the worker was holding the control pendant and leaning on a metal guardrail to view the area of the lift when they collapsed. An exposed 347-volt conductor was subsequently found on the electric hoist power cable in close proximity to where the worker had been.” …The person who contacted the Citizen said Lefebvre’s family was wondering why the news media was not given any notice of the accident. She said the electric shock stopped Lefevre’s heart but he was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the scene, which revived him before he was transported to UHNBC. He spent four days in hospital before being sent home. He was at home with his wife and their six-year-old son when he died suddenly on Feb. 11.

Read More