The UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs published this week a plan to increase the use of timber in construction in England. The roadmap is the stepping stone to encourage greater use of timber in construction to reduce the sector’s embodied carbon and help the country achieve its net-zero targets. The roadmap is centred around the following seven priority themes:
- Improving data on timber and whole-life carbon
- Promoting the safe and sustainable use of timber as a construction material
- Increasing skills, capacity and competency across the supply chain.
- Increasing the sustainable supply of timber – assess the available supply of sustainable timber products.
- Addressing fire safety and durability concerns to safely expand the use of engineered mass timber
- Increasing collaboration with insurers, lenders and warranty providers
- Promoting innovation and high-performing timber construction systems