Top tips for insuring your next mass timber building

February 5, 2024
Category: Wood, Paper & Green Building
Region: Canada, Canada West

You’re planning a building: you need financing, a design, a general contractor and, critically, insurance. But if you’re planning to use mass timber in your building in North America, you may have to employ different measures to secure both builder’s risk (also known as course of construction) insurance and occupancy insurance. Here are several steps building owners and developers can take to ensure they’re covered at the right price. Help your broker understand how mass timber — which employs engineered wood products such as cross-laminated, nail-laminated and glue-laminated timber as well as laminated veneer lumber — differs from light wood frame construction.  You’ll need to educate brokers about the substantial and growing body of international evidence of mass timber’s fire-resistant properties. Building owners and developers must similarly educate brokers that properly constructed mass timber structures are not any more susceptible to water damage than those made from concrete and steel, according to the Canadian Wood Council. 

Read More