
Trump says steep tariffs for Canada and Mexico could come as soon as February first. In related news: Trump signs executive orders to pull out of the Paris climate agreement, and reverse Alaska environmental protections. Meanwhile: Canada hopes US will delay tariffs but is ready to strike back; Premier Eby outlines BC’s three-pronged response; and Forest Nova Scotia says tariffs mean job losses.
In Forestry/Wildfire news: insights from Day 2 of the 80th annual Truck Loggers convention include panels titled: Securing the Future for BC’s Forestry Contractors, and Public and Political Influence Strategies; BC learns from California fire response; and Oregon is still scrambling to fund last year’s fire season.
Finally, Los Angeles fire victims turn to prefabricated homes for quick rebuilds.
Kelly McCloskey, Tree Frog Editor

The Ontario government is stepping up to protect Ontario workers in the face of potential American tariffs on Canadian goods by investing an additional $100 million in the province’s Skills Development Fund (SDF) Training Stream, bringing the total provincial investment in SDF to $1.5 billion. This investment will support workers in fields including manufacturing, construction, critical mineral extraction and other skilled trades, providing them with the skills and training they need to secure better jobs and bigger paycheques while protecting Ontario’s economy… “The Ontario Forest Industries Association welcomes additional investment in the Skills Development Fund,” said Ian Dunn, President & CEO. “This commitment will help ensure workers in Ontario’s forestry sector—and across the province—are equipped with the skills and training needed to thrive in an increasingly competitive global market. By investing in our forestry workforce, Premier Ford’s government is strengthening our economy and supporting industries that are vital to Ontario’s growth and resilience.”




When U.S. President-elect Donald Trump said he would immediately put tariffs on all goods being imported from Canada, Mexico, and China, people sat up and paid attention. Not just politicians but the general populations of the countries involved, even Americans. …A tariff is a tax or import duty placed by one country on imports from another country or countries. It effectively raises the cost of bringing foreign goods into a country and is usually used as a form of political leverage, a form of increasing revenues or to protect domestic industries by the importing country. Perhaps the best-known tariff currently in place against Canada is the softwood lumber tariff. …This added cost to our lumber makes it more expensive to U.S. buyers than a U.S.-produced product. …A tariff is a lose/lose deal.
ONTARIO — Housing starts over the next few years will likely weaken and the already dire supply shortage could get even worse, warns a new report prepared for the Residential Construction Council of Ontario (RESCON). Further, employment in new residential construction has peaked and will likely keep declining for the next several years at least. Entitled Housing Market Outlooks in Ontario, the report from economic research firm Will Dunning Inc. concludes that new housing starts will continue to decline “well into 2025, followed by a slow recovery of the economy and housing activity during 2026 to 2028. By the end of 2028, conditions will not have fully recovered.” Richard Lyall, RESCON president, described the findings as “particularly worrisome for builders as they point to a weakening residential construction market at the very time we need to build more housing.
Five efforts in Northern Ontario are receiving a total of $2.7 million in federal funding to work on climate change adaptation projects. Four of these projects are based in Sudbury and one is in Mattawa, and they include such things as creating educational programming and climate change adaptation plans. Wednesday’s funding comes from a greater pool of 
MONTREAL – With wildfires increasing in frequency and severity across Canada — impacting our health, economies, communities and wildlife — the Governments of Canada and Quebec are supporting Canadians and residents of Quebec whose lives and livelihoods are at stake. Natural Resources Canada announced a joint investment of $64 million over three years through the Government of Canada’s Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate Program – Equipment Fund. This joint investment is supporting Quebec’s efforts to purchase wildfire firefighting equipment, such as vehicles, drones and telecommunications equipment. By buying and upgrading equipment and hiring and training more personnel, Quebec will be better prepared to respond to wildfires and provide support when other regions in Canada experience high fire activity.
A lumber producer in Thessalon, Ont. that has been active for more than seven decades quietly shuttered its operations late last month — resulting in the layoff of roughly 40 employees in the weeks leading up to its impending closure. Midway Lumber Mills Ltd. first notified employees of plans to shut down the mill and lay off its workforce in October of last year, the soon-to-be former chair of USW Local 8748 told SooToday on Monday. “We got nine weeks advance notice that it was going to happen,” said Derrick Bookman, who has worked in a number of roles at the mill over the years. “They went above and beyond.”



University of New Brunswick forestry professor Anthony Taylor began a research project to examine what was killing balsam fir trees favoured by many Canadians to decorate their homes at Christmas. …in a paper recently published in the journal “Frontiers in Forests and Global Change,” Taylor and his co-authors identify the cause of the die-off in western New Brunswick and eastern Maine as drought and high temperatures brought on by climate change. “Identifying the broad scale climate anomalies, such as a drought, associated with the reported sudden balsam fir mortality in 2018 could prove useful to determine the likelihood of future mortality in response to climate change,” the study says. Taylor said he was shocked by “that much” death of balsam firs. …Taylor said heat and drought have weakened balsam firs, making them more vulnerable to pests and diseases that they would otherwise be able to defend against.
The scientific evidence behind glyphosate’s dangers is overwhelming—and infuriating. Glyphosate doesn’t stop at the plants it’s meant to kill. It contaminates everything in its path, infiltrating the food chain and leaving behind a legacy of harm… Even if Ontario banned glyphosate tomorrow, the chemical’s impact would linger for years. It persists in the soil, where it continues to harm microorganisms and plants. The forests we love may take decades to recover, and some ecosystems may never fully return to their original state. This isn’t just a fight for today; it’s a fight for the future. Quebec has already banned glyphosate in forestry. European countries like Austria and Germany are phasing it out. These regions recognize that short-term convenience isn’t worth long-term destruction. So why is Ontario still clinging to outdated, harmful practices?
OTTAWA — Across the country, the impacts of climate change are becoming more severe and more frequent with extreme events like floods, wildfires and heatwaves on the rise. …Marc G. Serré, Parliamentary Secretary to the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, along with Member of Parliament Viviane Lapointe and Member of Parliament Anthony Rota, announced over $2.7 million in funding for five projects based in northern Ontario under Natural Resources Canada’s
An American company that controls some large patches of forest northwest of Thunder Bay is considering the potential sale of its timberlands for use as a carbon offset initiative… Wagner Forest Management – based in New Hampshire – owns 195,000 hectares of forest in eight former Abitibi-Consolidated freehold blocks located roughly between the Dog Lake area, Graham and Sioux Lookout. It purchased the blocks from Abitibi in 2005 in a bidding process in which the Ontario government also participated. Last July the company extended an invitation to investors interested in the potential development of its holdings as “one of the largest nature-based carbon removal projects in the Voluntary Carbon Market.”.. Wagner’s forest management practices are currently certified through the Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
Scrap wood fibre in the Rainy River district could get a new life, thanks to a partnership working towards a green fuel production facility. Ten First Nations in the Rainy River District near Fort Frances have joined forces to create ground-breaking Wanagekong-Biiwega’iganan Clean Energy Corporation (WBCEC). In partnership with Highbury Energy Inc., a Vancouver-based clean energy innovator, the initiative aims to transform wood waste—including bark, sawdust, and logging debris—into low-carbon transportation fuels. …The corporation is currently engaging with industry stakeholders such as Boundary Waters Forest Management Corporation, West Fraser OSB, Manitou Forest Products, Nickel Lake Lumber, and Resolute Forest Products (Sapawe Sawmill) to secure local wood waste as feedstock for a proposed biorefinery in Fort Frances. …This initiative aligns with similar projects Highbury Energy is involved in, including one in British Columbia to replace natural gas with a clean renewable fuel gas in a pulp mill lime-kiln.

OTTAWA – Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says dozens of firefighters from Alberta and British Columbia will help fight wildfires in California, and the federal government is co-ordinating efforts with the provinces to deploy resources. Sajjan says in a social media post that 60 firefighters from the two provinces will be deployed as soon as Monday, and that Canadian officials are working to identify and prepare more resources to send in the days ahead. He says in the post that, “Our American friends have asked for help to fight the wildfires in California and Team Canada is responding,” and he concludes with, “Neighbours helping neighbours.” A spokeswoman for Sajjan confirms in an email that Canada has received and approved an official request for help. Alberta announced last week that it is sending up to 40 wildland firefighters with more personnel, waterbombers and contracted night-vision helicopters ready to deploy.